July 19 - 20, 2022 See More Dates
0830 - 1630 Each Day | Add to CalendarENROLL NOW
April 26 - 27, 2022
May 24 - 25, 2022
June 21 - 22, 2022
July 19 - 20, 2022
August 23 - 24, 2022
September 27, 2023 - September 28, 2022
The Whittington U’s Defensive Pistol III Course is the Advanced Level Defensive Sidearm instruction that focuses on Lowlight/No-light engagements, while employing a strong fundamental interaction with the firearm, and flashlight, along with Principles of Cover. Support side engagements with the Non-Dominant hand are also included in this training, with a scenario-based engagement rounding out the Course.
The WU Defensive Pistol series focuses on Violence as a Means of Last Resort with the defense of ourselves and our loved ones as part of an overall lifestyle change.
- Static Fire/Body Position Refresher Drills
- Individual Movement/Principles of Cover (PoC) Drills on Reactive Fire
- Advanced Movement Drills (AMD)
- Lowlight/No-light Engagements
- Support Side Engagements
- Scenario Based Engagement
- This is a progressive curriculum. We require students to take the courses in succession: Defensive Pistol I - Defensive Pistol II - Defensive Pistol III - Defensive Pistol Masters
- Course participants may also purchase an ammunition package with the appropriate round count. (Call to check availability of Ammunition Packages)
- AMMUNITION PACKAGE IS RESTRICTED TO ONE PER PERSON PER COURSE
- If you would like to register more than one person for this course please add it to your cart as two separate items.
Every guest must read and sign the online Waiver before they are allowed into the center.
Defensive Pistol III Course Requirements
What you will need (packing list is for each individual course):
Defensive Pistol III Daily Schedule (subject to change)
This example schedule of what to expect is subject to change.
1300-1400 - Static Fire Drills
1400-1530 – Planes Drill
1530-1700 – Free Movement Drill
1700-2030 – Evening Meal Break
2030-0030 – Lowlight/No-light Engagements
0800-0930 – Support Side Static Fire Drills w/Cover
0930-1200 – Support Side Individual Movement Drills/PoC
1200-1330 – Scenario Engagement
1330-1400 - Final Discussion
2022 Course Schedule
The 2022 Defensive Pistol course schedule is now available!
A Pro Shop is located at the Whittington Center and stocks everything you need for Whittington U courses. Ammunition packages are available. See course requirements for details.
You can rent a pistol or semi-auto rifle for a Defensive Academy course.
Avoid The Line! Speed up your check-in!
Before arriving, every guest must read and sign the online NRA Whittington Center Waiver.
This is a Masters level course that focuses on potential engagements that can occur during periods of darkness.
This Master Level course focuses on the everyday situations that can occur, and assessing the risks involved, to enable the best course of action in a defensive engagement.
The Precision Long Range (PLR) I Course introduces students to the art and science of Precision Long Range Shooting with classroom instruction, strong fundamental focus with both shooter/spotter teams and known distance data gathering.
Located near beautiful Raton, New Mexico, the NRA Whittington Center is home to the nation’s premier hunting, shooting, and outdoor recreation facility. The NRA Whittington Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and relies on the generous contributions of donors who want to preserve our heritage of freedom for the next generation of shooters and hunters.